Nourish has researched and developed a natural treatment plan for couples to help them take control of their reproductive health. The recommended 4 month course comes in convenient monthly packs and contains nutrients and other ingredients that are vital for conception and your baby’s healthy development. Tel: 01534 857197.
A multi- vitamin and mineral- many companies now make special formulas for women who are trying to conceive. The pregnancy pack is available from Health Plus on 01323 872277. Website: www.healthplus.co.uk.
In order to produce testosterone at optimal levels any multi for men needs to contain at least 30mg of zinc, 200mcg of selenium and 250g of magnesium. Both partners should take a B-complex plus 5000iu of vitamin A, which are needed for egg and sperm production. Once Pregnant the vitamin A can be reduced to 3000iu daily if required. Full-spectrum, natural source vitamin E, 200iu a day has been shown to help reduce both male and female infertility by helping to balance hormone leve;s and enabling egg and sperm to fuse. For women take 40 drops of agnus catus in the morning, or 1000mg in tablet form. This herb helps regulate the hormonal cycle.
Both partners should take 1 gram of vitamin C daily. The celloid mineral complex potassium chloride; 150mg can help clear fallopian tubes. BLK L-arginine and -carnitine are two amino acids that are needed for sperm production and to prevent sperm becoming too ’sticky’, which can interfere with conception. You could take 1.5-3 grams of each daily. Do not take the arginine if you have herpes (cold sores) or shingles.
- Eat organic and get more nutrients, as hormone and antibiotic residues are known to affect fertility in both women and men.
- Your weight can affect your fertility, check out your body mass index – a measure of your weight in relation to your height. A BMI of 20-25 is ideal. Below 20 is underweight and above 25 is overweight.
- Hypnotherapy has been proven to be an effective aid when dealing with infertility. Studies show that it can also increase conception rates for couples undergoing IVF treatment.
- Regular acupuncture has proven very successful for many couples – see previous
- Cigarette smoke is high in toxin cadmium. This toxin competes against zinc, which is vital for fertility. This is one of the reasons why smokers are less likely to conceive. Stop smoking- and avoid alcohol.
- Ask to be screened for any urinary infections and sexually transmitted diseases, many of which lay dormant and are often symptom free. 69% of couples screened have an infection.
- Much of the water in the UK is contaminated with high levels of fluoride, aluminium, cooper and cadmium, which compete with essential minerals in the body. Pesticide residue and traces which eventually finds its way of the contraceptive pill (which can have hormone-disrupting qualities) are excreted via urine, which eventually finds its way into the water system, and can also affect fertility. The Fresh Water Filter Company Ltd offers a broad range of water filters. Call them on 08704423633, or visit their website at www.freshwaterfillter.com.
- Limit the amount of chemicals in your home and garden, such as wood preservatives, perfumes, insect sprays and so on. Use eco-friendly products. Avoid too much exposure to mobile phones, computers and electrical equipment.
- If either partner is taking prescription drugs or regular over the counter remedies, check for known side effects. Remember to try not to get too stressed, as stress in either partner can lower the chances of conception. I have received letters from couples who, when they gave up trying so hard to conceive, bought a pet or adopted a child, the next thing they knew a baby was on the way!
- Sitting for long periods raises the temperature in the testicles, which may reduce male fertility. If you are deskbound, for example, or a long-distance driver, wear loose fitting underwear and trousers, and get plenty of exercise. Contact Foresight, who specialise in giving couples information about how to plan for a healthy pregnancy and increase fertility naturally. We have a Foresight practitioner here at The Hatfield Practice. Please ring for further advice.